Tuesday, January 19, 2010

What's Cookin?

I have been trying to be more organized in my meal planning so that when 5:00 rolls around, I'm not wondering what I'm going to make or dinner and, more importantly, so that when I'm grocery shopping I don't spend $50 on random food and get home and think, "we have nothing for dinner." So I've been planning out a weekly menu and it's been helping me a lot! For dinner tonight, we are having taco soup and cornbread, and I've had a few people ask for the recipes, so here they are!


Taco Soup:

This recipe is SO easy, and it's a GREAT food storage recipe. Everything is from the pantry!

1 can tomato soup

1 can diced tomatoes

1 can stewed tomatoes

1 can kidney beans (drained and rinsed)

1 can black beans (drained and rinsed)

(You can substitute for any kind of beans you like...)

1 can corn (drained)

1 can chicken (or you can boil a chicken breast and shred it)

1 pkg. taco seasoning


That's it! It's great in a pinch because everything is on hand! Top with sour cream, cheese and tortilla chips.


Now, for the cornbread:

2 cups flour

1 cup cornmeal

3/4 cup sugar

1 T. baking powder

1/2 t. salt

2 cups milk

1/4 cup oil

3 eggs

1 pkg. vanilla pudding (optional)


Combine first 4 ingredients set aside. Mix next 3 ingredients, beat well. Add dry ingredients (including dry pudding if desired) to wet ingredients and mix lightly, batter will still be lumpy. Pour into a greased 9x13 pan, bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.


This is seriously the best cornbread ever! If you try it let me know what you think!


Also, I have to add this picture of Brynlie in the Valentine's dress my mom made for her

It's reversible, so the other side is hearts with a section of polka dots at the bottom. I love it! Thanks mom!!

4 comments:

Jeff and Anna Giles said...

I want to know what you're having for the rest of the week. I'm always wanting ideas too. Brynlie is super cute!!!

Amy said...

I lost my taco soup recipe and I think this one is actually it! Thanks for posting, now I know what we are having :), I agree, what does the rest of your week look like?? :)

Natalie said...

That dress is SO cute!!

Casseron said...

Thanks for the recipes!! I will for sure have to try them out! Also Brynlie is so stinkin cute!!