Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Fall Cooking

I am overly excited for fall, and I totally got into the fall cooking spirit last week. I tried a couple new recipes and this one is a fave!

Tortellini Meatball Stew

Ingredients:
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can tomato paste
5 c. vegetable and/or chicken stock
pkg. frozen cooked meatballs
pkg. frozen tortellini
veggies or your choice, I used carrots, zucchini, celery (onions and garlic would be delish but the hubs won't touch it if they are included)
salt, pepper, oregano, parsley, garlic salt, any other yummy soup spices you like

There are two methods to this stew. I used a crock pot because I make everything in a crock pot and because it can slowly simmer all day and soak up all the yummy flavors. So you add the tomatos and paste, stock, all the vegetables chopped up, and the meatballs. Let it cook on low for about 4 hours. OR you could do the same thing in a pot on the stove for as long as it takes for the veggies to get softish. Then, about 30 minutes before you're ready to eat it, add the tortellini. (Important note: unless you want to eat this for the rest of your life, only use half the bag of meatballs and half the bag of tortellini. Save the rest for another batch another day!)

We ate ours with foccacia bread and it was DELISH!!! Hope you enjoy!

3 comments:

The Hugel's said...

My mom called me the other day and was explaining this recipe to me and how she was looking for it and I told her I had never had it so I am so glad you posted this thank you!!!I am excited to try it out.

Jaclyn said...

Can't wait to see what things you talk about over the next few months-- I love that fall is almost here.

Amy said...

Oh my yum. I love when you share recipes! I'm going to have to try this one out :).