Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Squash Custard Pie

I thought I would post this recipe--I know the combination of ingredients sounds weird, but I made it tonight for dinner and it is really good! I love that it can all be done in the microwave so I don't have to heat up my oven (which heats up my whole apartment, which is no fun when it's almost 100 degrees outside.) I also love all the summery vegetables in it. Try it, I think you'll like it!

In a pie dish, layer sliced yellow squash (I also mixed in zucchini) around the bottom and sides of the dish. I add salt and pepper to the top. In a separate bowl, mix the following together:

1 5 oz can evaporated milk
2 eggs, slightly beaten
2 cups cooked rice (let it cool so that it doesn't cook the egg when it's added)
1 cup cheese

Pour this mixture over the squash. Cook in the microwave for about 15 minutes, until the egg mixture is not liquidy anymore. Top with chopped tomatoes, chopped cooked bacon (I just used the microwave kind) and green onions. Microwave for another couple minutes. Salt and pepper to taste.

I forgot to take a picture of the finished product...hopefully this made sense. I remember my mom making this when I was growing up, maybe that's why I like it!

No comments: