Tuesday, September 8, 2009

It could be worse...and baby's room pictures!

First, let me explain the title of this post...It could be worse... that's something I've had to say to myself over and over the past two days. Why, you might ask? Well, I will tell you. In the wee hours of the morning on Monday morning (about 3:00) I was fast asleep, when I am suddenly awoken by a HUGE MASSIVE boom and our apartment shaking. I turn over to Rich and ask what it was. Lightning. I said, did we just get struck by lightning? Yes, I think we might have. Then I start to panic. If we got struck by lightning, there's going to be a fire. I just know it. No, Rich says, go back to sleep, we're fine. But my obsessive mind can't fall back asleep when I know our apartment could burn down. So I throw on some clothes, look at the window, and sure enough, there is a fire truck, lights flashing, heading into our complex. Rich is wide awake by this point as well, and we hurry outside. Looks like we're not the only ones outside, and we're not the only ones with a fire. Two apartments caught on fire. The first one was out quickly. The second one, the one in the attic of our building (luckily not our end of the building), is a bit harder to get to. So the firemen pull out their full on ladder, climb to the roof, and use a chainsaw and an ax to get down inside. They get the fire out, and we got back inside, only to find that our lights won't turn on. Hmm, the power must be out, I think. But no, only some lights don't turn on. So we flip all the breakers and begin checking all of our electronics and appliances. Well, we learned a lesson that day. In a lightning storm, unplug all of your electronics, or invest in some surge protector strips. We lost our TV, computer, and printer to the electrical surge. I was beyond bummed...but was extremely relieved to find that my digital piano still worked.
I know that things could be much MUCH worse, our apartment could have burned down, we could have lost a lot more than our electronics, etc. Sometimes telling myself this helps, sometimes, it doesn't, but I do know that we were blessed and watched over.

Now, on to more fun things! Here is the fun halloween tutu I made for baby girly bird, I know it will drowned her this year as she will only be about a week old when she wears it, but next year should be much better:
And finally...duh duh duh...her room! It's not done yet, but here are the pictures so far of her crib put together:
Don't mind the quote, I had an hour long struggle to get it to stick to the wall and it's already coming down. I'll have to figure out something else...

These rag balls were covered in different fabric, and they are a favorite of all our friends' kids when they come to play. They are meant as a decoration, but they LOVE to play catch with them or toss them in the basket. So I decided to cover them in leftover fabric from her room, and she can eventually play with them and, I'm sure, rip them apart.


The beautiful quilt my mom made:

It's finally starting to feel like it's coming together!

11 comments:

collinanddani said...

Holy cow that is scary!!! That happened to my aunt and uncle. All of their electronics were ruined. It's crazy how that can happen. I'm glad you're all safe though!

Nelson and Suz said...

Oh my goodness, Carlie!!! I'm so sorry!!! You have such a great attitude though! Okay.... that nursery is ADORABLE!!!! I'm so glad you have a comfy rocker too. You will love your time spend there! Love the quote on the wall. Just adorable bedding. How special that is was made by Grandma!

Anonymous said...

That is crazy about your apartment and so scary! That is a good reminder to unplug things too. I can't believe you are going to have a baby in just a few weeks. That is so exciting!

News from the Nest said...

Do you guys have renter's insurance? That would have TERRIFIED me! And the girlie's room is sooooo fun!

Amy said...

Hey! Good news,I work for the company that makes that sign. Send me an email amysorensen@diecutsinc.com and tell me what your vinyl saying is and that you want a replacement and I'll get a new one sent out to you. It should go on really easy and stay on, you must have got a "dud" :). So email me. Love the rag balls how do you make them? Glad no one was hurt in the fire!!

Scott, Kara, Paul, Brad and Andee said...

Scary! I am so glad your apartment didn't catch fire either! I am sorry about your tv and all that, you are welcome over here anytime. Love the room, way cute! If you are having a hard time with the letters on the wall you should check out upper case living. We know the owners in Utah and love their stuff, it stays on and its so cute.

Jody Weiss said...

Scarey!!! So many crazy things happen in Louisville, who would have thought??? I'm glad you guys are OK!! Your baby room looks adorable!!

Drew and Michele said...

Cute Room, I love it!! Ya, we lost our tv as well, lights did the same thing, and there is a hole in our laundry room floor, we think the lightning came through the ground. We went in the laundry room the next morning and little pieces of cement were everywhere! Crazy stuff here at the terraces!

The Mills said...

Glad you guys are ok! The babys room is so cute, its coming together! How exciting!

Natalie said...

Your bedding is beautiful! I cannot believe you're mom quilted it

Jeffrey and Monica said...

The room is so cute! I have the same quote in Allison's room.