Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Washington DC!

This past weekend, after Rich's finals ended, we packed up the car and made the long drive to Alexandria, VA to visit our friends Jody and Dieter, who moved from Louisville last winter. We stayed with them for the weekend and they showed us all around DC. We had so much fun! We walked until our legs could not take us any farther, then we would go back to Jody and Dieter's place for some movies and relaxing. I took a ton of pictures, and of course, I loaded them on here backwards again... Above is us at the National Zoo.
A shot of the capitol.

As we were walking around, I was really hoping to see a HUGE LONG line of outhouses, all in a row...oh wait, and then, there they were!

Our nation's capitol.

This was in the National Archives...I think these might have been the steps that maybe Nicholas Cage might have run down in the chase scene when he steals the Declaration of Independence in "National Treasure"...
The Constitution


The Declaration of Independence
Notice the difference between the two pictures above? Well, we were given strict instructions not to use the flash on our cameras, as it fades the documents...well, I accidentally took a picture of the Declaration with my flash on, and was immediately pounced on by the guards, who made sure my flash was turned off...oops...at least I got a good, clear picture?


Inside the National Archives

At the Smithsonian Museum of Natural History...Dev, I took this Bison one just for you!

More of the museum...

So happy to be in front of the White House!


At the World War II Memorial.
Kentucky will always hold a special place in our hearts...

The Korean War Memorial

There must have been something very interesting in that water...


More Korean War Memorial. It was very moving.

Vietnam War Memorial. This was such an eye opener...so many lives lost.

One of my faves...the Lincoln Memorial.
He was HUGE!


The Washington Monument...it didn't even look like Washington! :)

Puerto Rico!!
Virgin Islands...both in honor of Richy's mission.

More World War II Memorial...another of my favorites.

View of the capitol from the Lincoln Memorial.
It was a lot of walking! More than I expected! I learned something...I have wussy feet.

More Washington Monument.


Riding the metro for the first time. It was so fun to see so much history and learn so much in a quick weekend, and so nice to have a break from school and work! On our way home, we stopped at Richard's cousin Suzanne's house in Richmond and stayed with her and her hubby Nelson for a night. It was great to see them (pictures to come). Thanks Jody and Dieter and Nelson and Suz for making the weekend so fantastic!

5 comments:

Dave and Lizzie said...

So fun!! That is awesome that you got to see so much, someday I want to go there!

Brett and Lex said...

WOW! You sure accomplished a lot in one weekend!! :)Glad you had fun!

Jody Weiss said...

We miss you Bird heads already! It's been raining ever since you left, a symbol of the tears I've been crying since you walked out our door :( It was so so much fun having you guys here! I wish we could be next door again! I can't wait till July!!! I just love reunions ;)

The Loesevitz Family - said...

Jody has the cutest baby bump... and I can't wait to be able to see yours sticking out! Glad you guys had fun!

Jenny Ann said...

WHAT THE HECK?! I have to scrounge around a bunch of other peoples blogs to find yours?! So offended.
But you little mini vacation looks like a lot of fun. I can't believe you saw all of that stuff in so little time. I was there for a week and saw pretty much everything you saw. (granted my feet were not hurting at the end of each day)
When I did not see you at church on Sunday I was wondering if you had secretly left for Utah for the summer and forgot to tell me.
Such a relief :)