Thursday, February 2, 2012

Answers

Today we went to a fetal maternal medicine doctor to do some more ultrasounds and an amniocentisis. The ultrasound took about an hour...they really looked closely at everything. Then the doctor came in and went over the ultrasound again. She was very quiet while looking and we just let her do her thing, a little too afraid to ask any questions. Then she had us go wait for her in a consultation room. She took about 15 minutes, then came in and sat down. She went over the ultrasound with us, and told us what she saw. She saw the cleft, which she's pretty sure involves his pallate. His ears are very low, and his jaw and chin are hardly formed. His hands were still clenched tightly in little fists over his face. His legs were crossed, and his feet looked webbed. All of these are signs that we dreaded. Trisomy 18. I had been reading about it for the last few days, and as she described each of these signs, my heart sank. I knew the survival rate for babies with Trisomy 18--only 50% even make it to birth. Of those that do, the survival rate after birth is so so low, with the likelihood three times less in boys than in girls. Then she told us she also saw brain and heart defects. All of these things combined made her say with 90% confidence that he has Trisomy 18. We decided to do an amnio just to have a definitive answer, and so we will know how to proceed, especially what we will do if he makes it to birth.
As I looked over the ultrasound pictures when I got home, I realized just how deformed his little body is. His little face, his hands and wrists, some of his limbs are small, etc. I cried as I realized that this precious boy just needed to get a body, no matter what kind of body it was.
The amnio results will come back Monday, and then we will have more of a definitive answer, but I know in my heart that this little boy's time on earth will be very, very short. This was quite shocking news, and it's going to take a long time to get used to. My heart aches when I think of the crib bedding my mom and I had planned to make him, of the star quilt my mom made that I was going to drape over his rocking chair, all the little boy clothes I couldn't wait to buy, Brynlie wrestling down on her little brother in a year or two...My heart just aches. I have definitely felt some tender mercies over the last two days. Flowers waiting at our front door. So many phone calls, texts, and emails of friends from all over telling me our names were on the temple prayer roll and that they were praying for us. We have definitely felt that added strength. Yesterday we prayed to have a peaceful day. During lunch, Brynlie and I went and picked Rich up from work and went to Subway to get a FebrANY 5-dollar foot long. Our hearts were heavy and we thought a picnic at the park might cheer us up. Our next door neighbor walked in behind us and said, "I knew there was a reason I was supposed to stop here for lunch!" As we ordered our sandwiches, he told the cashier to not let us pay for them, that he was buying our lunches. My eyes filled with tears. It was so small, but I truly felt it was Heavenly Father's way of letting us know that he's watching over us, and that He will continue to send angels along our path.

10 comments:

Scott, Kara, Paul, Brad and Andee said...

My heart just aches for you! I truly am sorry to hear all of this. You will constantly be in my prayers, you and your sweet baby.

Valgardson Family said...

We love you and are thinking of you. You are in my thoughts and prayers along with baby boy. I'm so glad you are sharing this with us. Here is a hug from across the country. Take care.

Brett, Juliann, and Mae said...

I am so sorry to hear this. You and Rich are in our prayers and thoughts. We love you two!

The Loesevitz Family - said...

Carlie, I'm so very sorry to read the news. I am glad you have a strong testimony and know that families are forever. Your time with him may be short, but it will be beautiful. There are so many other mothers who have gone down the road you are on - reach out to them, they can be such a great support.

The Grover Gang said...

Carlie, I am so glad I checked your blog! I am so sorry! This little guy is truly lucky to have such an amazing mommy and Daddy! Your family is in our thoughts and Prayers. Please let us know if you need ANYTHING!

The Mills said...

Oh my gosh, I am so sorry to hear all of this. You guys hang in there! You are already so strong!
Love, Lynsie

Kathryn-nannygoat said...

Wow Carlie, I'm just learning of your news... I can't imagine how you must be feeling but I want you to know that we will be thinking of and praying for you and your family. This precious little boy is so blessed to have you as his parents. Hugs

Natalie said...

Carlie,

When I am going through hard times it helps me to listen to Mormon Messages. They bring peace in a time of confusion.
I have never experienced anything close to what you are experiencing. I just want you to know that when trials do approach and enter our lives, I hope to emulate your example.
I hope that I approach trials with hope and prayer and the eternal concept.
I hope you enjoy this video. Like it says, take every day step by step. You are doing perfectly in handling this.
You are in our thoughts and prayers.

http://www.lds.org/pages/mormon-messages?lang=eng#the-power-of-hope

[BrookeO] said...

I love you.

Jaclyn said...

I have been thinking about you so much lately. I am sorry it's such a waiting game to see how your son's story will play out. I know in our darkest moments, heaven is closest. Take care of yourself!