Wednesday, February 29, 2012

One Day at a Time

Hello there! I haven't been as diligent about keeping up this blog or my crafty blog lately...life happens sometimes huh? Just wanted to give a little update about how things are going--we went to the specialist again this past week, and this time saw a different doctor who specializes in the heart. She did a fetal echo ultrasound on our little guy to get a better idea of what's going on with his heart. It's all very complicated and doesn't make sense to my non-scientific mind, but basically he has a large hole in between the left and right ventricals of his heart, and instead of having two valves, one to carry blood in and one to carry blood out, he only has one large valve. So basically all of his blood (oxygenated and unoxygenated) is mixing together. She surprised us by saying she wasn't too worried about this, that a normal baby could live with this condition for up to a year or two before needing an operation--that it is not life or death. We were relieved to hear this "good" bad news! Baby George is still growing, he weighs over a pound and he is still only measuring a week behind! I will be 25 weeks this weekend and I will take another belly picture...but I will warn you: I just found out that trisomy 18 babies don't drink amniotic fluid normally and regularly, so it is very common for the mother to have A LOT of extra amniotic fluid. I read a blog of one mom of T18 who said by the time she was 8 months along, several people asked if she was having triplets! Oh great...guess who has lots of extra amniotic fluid and is already feeling it! That's right. So if I already look like I'm having twins, I'll blame it on the amniotic fluid, even though I did WAY too much baking and treat eating with my mom while she was here.
Basically we are just taking everything day to day. We are moving to St. George next month, and are in the process of looking for places to live as well as a second car. Lots of big changes coming up in the next few months, and I'm honestly not anywhere near ready for any of them!
Brynlie brings so much light into my life every day. I cannot imagine where I would be through all of this if I didn't get to hang out with her all day every day. She teaches me so much and makes me laugh at least every five minutes. Today I was laying down on the couch, dozing off, and she came up to me, rubbed my face, and said "Are you so cute Mommy?" "I want to kiss your baby belly Mommy! I want to love it!" I just love the things that come out of her mouth!

Thank you for all of your prayers, we still need them, and we can still feel them.

4 comments:

Valgardson Family said...

I'm glad that you are doing well, good luck with moving and getting settled. I'm glad little baby is doing well. We think of you often. Take care.

The Grover Gang said...

Still Thinking and praying for your sweet family and will continue to do so! Miss you.

Natalie said...

Thanks for the update! You're still in our prayers often. I hope all goes well with the move. Cute Brynlie- I think you need to post some videos

Jody Weiss said...

What a sweet little girl Brynlie is! I'm still looking forward to getting our girls together again, they were so cute last time! I'm happy there's a silver lining for you after your last visit to the doctor. I am thinking of you and the family multiple times a day!!! We miss and love you guys!