Tuesday, January 31, 2012

What if our blessings come through raindrops?

Where to start? These last few months have been so challenging...filled with so many emotions and so many ups and downs. It started back in October when I found out I was pregnant. We had been waiting and waiting for this baby to come, and we were so excited to find out we were expecting! With the upcoming arrival of this baby, I started aching to live closer to family. Brynlie talks to her grandma and grandpa on Skype and begs to go in the computer so she can play with them! The option to live in St. George and to work for Rich's brother in law has always been in the back of my mind, but has never felt like a real option, for varying reasons. But it kept coming to my mind more and more often. But Richard LOVES his job here in Oregon. We love the people. It just feels so right. Except too far away. Many late night talks, prayers, and tears later, we decided to move to St. George. I was SO excited to be able to live closer to family, but I kept feeling a little guilty, like we were moving there because of me. I wondered if we were doing this for the right reasons, or if I was being selfish. We both felt at peace about moving, but I just didn't understand why.
Fast forward to this morning.
We went in for our 20 week ultrasound. I was feeling excited and a bit nervous for some reason. My mom randomly booked a flight to come out and visit me next week, and in the back of my mind I felt like maybe there was a reason she was coming...like I needed her for something but I didn't know what yet.
The ultrasound started out very exciting. Right off little guy showed us his "boy parts". I couldln't believe it! I had hoped and hoped it would be a boy, but I was still so surprised and so excited! The ultrasound went on, with the ultrasound quietly taking measurements and telling us every so often that such and such looked "normal". I felt like everything was going good! Then she got to his head. She spent a long time looking there, and stopped saying that everything looked "normal." I also noticed his little hands...they were balled up in fists the entire time. When we were finished, she got up and said she would go see if they were ready for my scheduled appointment with the nurse practitioner. Next thing I know, my doctor walked in. She said she wanted to take a look again at the baby, as there were some abnormalities that were concerning. I sat back down, kind of shocked. She proceeded to go through the ultrasound and show me her concerns. His right foot is curved, and his clenched hands are both signs of a chromosomal disorder. But the very obvious thing that she showed me next was his face. He has a large cleft in his lip, and the right side of his brain is showing signs that things didn't fuse together properly. We are being referred to a maternal fetal medicine doctor on Thursday, who will do a more in depth ultrasound as well as an amniocentisis. Until then, we don't have many answers, and all we can do is pray.
I felt so strongly as we left the doctors office that this precious little boy is the reason we are supposed to move to St. George. We will be surrounded by our family on both sides who will be able to help care for him and love him and give Brynlie the attention she needs during the coming months. I'm so grateful for my testimony and knowledge of the gospel. I know that this little boy chose to come to our family (though I'm not sure why) and I know that he is sent here, for however long, to teach us. I know that while his body may not be perfect, his little spirit is, and he will someday be able to obtain a perfect body. I pray for the strength I need this next few months to still be the mother I need to be for Brynlie and to have the faith that I need in my Heavenly Father's plan for me and out family.

9 comments:

Jo said...

Love you Carlie!

The Loesevitz Family - said...

Oh Carlie, I know we haven't kept in touch but I think of you often. You are in my prayers.

Valgardson Family said...

You are such a strong mom and women. We love your little family and the testimony you share with everyone you meet. There is no doubt that Heavenly Father sent him to your family because you are so strong. We are thinking and praying for you. I hope all goes well. miss you. Yeah for UTAH! I'm so jealous. Take care.

Jeff and Anna Giles said...

He is so lucky to have you as a mom! Your family is a great example and we love you guys! Were excited you're moving to St. George too! Hope everything goes well and remember I'm here if you want to talk. Love ya! Have fun with you mom next week too :)

Dave and Lizzie said...

Your words left tears in my eyes Carly. I will be praying for your little family. You are amazing and always have been, you can do this.

Natalie said...

Carlie, This post brought tears to my eyes and touched my heart.
I can think of no better person to take care of this precious little boy. The Lord trusts you and is very mindful of your little family.
I have always thought you were amazing. We will keep you in our prayers.

Natalie said...

Carlie, I would call you right now if it wasn't 5 AM your time! I saw Amber's post first and wondered if she was referring to you. I'm so sorry I didn't get back to you last night- it was kind of a long hard day and I remembered this morning that I had checked my phone and started to answer you, then got distracted. Anyways, this post brought me to tears. You are such a great mom, and I know this special boy will be going to a wonderful home!

Suzy Hicks said...

Carlie, thinking and praying for you guys. Please let us know how everything goes. I'm so glad you are moving closer to your family, what a blessing! xoxo.

Drew and Michele said...

Oh how we love you and your little family. Know that we are thinking a praying for you that you will feel love and comfort. So glad that you will be moving closer to home, and St. George aint a bad place to live:) We could definitely get together whenever we are home!