Thursday, June 30, 2011

Simple things

It's amazing to me what a few small, simple changes can do to make a space come together! I've been working on the finishing touches in our house, (with a budget of next to nothing). Here's a few things I've come up with:

We had an old mat at our front door that we have had at all our front doors since we got married, and it was in my parents garage before that...it was a little gross. I've been looking for cute welcome mats and they're kinda pricey! Even at Walmart they were between $15 and $20! Answer to my problem? Ross. I found this little guy on clearance for 3 bucks because the top had a little rip. Do you see it? I don't...


(Like my toe?)








For the last couple weeks, our bathroom was bugging me...it's just wasn't seeming to come together. I've been looking on blogs, getting all kinds of ideas, but nothing was inspiring me. Then one day, on some random blog, I saw it. A shelf. A lightbulb clicked, the heavens opened...ok ok so a shelf isn't that big of a deal. But for me, it finally made our bathroom complete.
I already had the shelf and everything to go on it, just did some rearranging. Total cost: $0







Another problem in our bathroom was the fact that now that we have double sinks, we also have double towel holder things, but I didn't have matching towels. It was bugging me. I had a few dollars left on a JCPenney giftcard from my birthday, so I bought a couple white towels on sale, added some ruffle-love to the bottom, and there ya have it!



Total cost $6 from an unused giftcard.








I've been trying to find a cute sign or something to hang by our front door--something welcoming but also something says "please remove your shoes" so that I can avoid that awkwardness every time someone comes in our house. I'm pretty big into not wearing shoes in our house but I hate asking other people to take off their shoes. I found an old frame I wasn't using and this is what I came up with! Problem solved! Total cost $0











Finally, our bedroom. It's very...brown. Very boring. Not very welcoming or inviting. I would love to get a new white down comforter and totally re-do our bed, but not in the budget. So I added a few pops of color to liven it up a little. These flower sprigs were 60% off at Joann's making them $1.19 (no sales tax here in Oregon, thank you very much!)






And I found some material on sale to make a fun green summery pillow. Material was $4








I get so giddy over such simple things!

2 comments:

Valgardson Family said...

So cute, I love all your crafts, you always make your house so cute, warm and welcoming.

BRooKe said...

You are too cute and I totally want that door mat! I guess I better check Ross to see if I can find such a great find!