"A story is told that during the bombing of a city in World War II, a large statue of Jesus Christ was severely damaged. When the townspeople found the statue among the rubble, they mourned because it had been a beloved symbol of their faith and of God’s presence in their lives.
Experts were able to repair most of the statue, but its hands had been damaged so severely that they could not be restored. Some suggested that they hire a sculptor to make new hands, but others wanted to leave it as it was—a permanent reminder of the tragedy of war. Ultimately, the statue remained without hands. However, the people of the city added on the base of the statue of Jesus Christ a sign with these words: “You are my hands.”
Experts were able to repair most of the statue, but its hands had been damaged so severely that they could not be restored. Some suggested that they hire a sculptor to make new hands, but others wanted to leave it as it was—a permanent reminder of the tragedy of war. Ultimately, the statue remained without hands. However, the people of the city added on the base of the statue of Jesus Christ a sign with these words: “You are my hands.”
I love this reminder that we are here to fulfill a purpose--we ARE the Lord's hands. There is a great work to be done, and I am a part of that (if I let myself be.) My hands an become His hands, my eyes His eyes, my heart His heart. I can embrace, comfort, serve, and love. I love the promise President Uchtdorf offers at the end of his talk:
"As we extend our hands and hearts toward others in Christlike love, something wonderful happens to us. Our own spirits become healed, more refined, and stronger. We become happier, more peaeful, and more receptive to the whisperings of the Holy Spirit."
I want to be His hands.

2 comments:
I love that talk too!! It was very inspiring. Its amazing that every conference I always feel like they are saying exactly what I need to hear!!
I chose to do this talk too for my message. It really is inspiring to think that we are the Lords hands.
I also made muddy buddies "finger foods" (Do you get it?) with a summary of his talk. I have to be honest, I read your blog before I chose the message and you inspired me!
Post a Comment